What Are Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges are false teeth anchored on neighbouring teeth in order to replace one or more missing teeth. The false tooth is known as a pontic and is fused in between two crowns that serve as anchors by attaching to the teeth on each side of the false tooth and thereby bridging them together.
Must Missing Teeth Be Replace By A Bridge?
While there are often several options for replacing missing teeth, teeth must be replaced for many reasons –
- To improve your appearance
- To reduce the strain on the teeth at either side of the missing tooth
- To prevent the neighbouring teeth from leaning into the resulting gap and altering the bite
- To prevent gum disease and tooth decay due to accumulation of food in the gap
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Some of the benefits of dental bridges include:
- Restoring your smile
- Restoring your ability to speak and chew properly
- Maintain the shape of your face
- Properly distribute the force of your bite
- Prevent your other teeth from “drifting”
Who Should Get Dental Bridges?
Anyone with one or more missing teeth could benefit from a dental bridge. When you are missing teeth, it can become more difficult to speak clearly and your bite can be affected due to the force of your bite being unevenly distributed.
Cosmetic Benefits of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges can be cosmetically pleasing, giving your face back its normal shape and restoring your beautiful smile. When you are missing teeth, the face can begin to “fall,” creating a sunken jaw line. Especially as teeth begin to drift, filling the vacant areas in your mouth, the sinking in of the face can be increased.
How Long Will Dental Bridges Last?
According to WebMD, dental bridges can last fifteen years or longer with proper care. Good oral hygiene and regular checkups are important for overall oral health and the longevity of your dental bridges.
Where Can I Get Dental Bridges?
Pearl Fine Dental Care offers dental bridges in Bournemouth at our Southbourne Road location.